Sunday, June 20, 2010

Just some basic information


So once a week I get a delivery from Waylon's home health company with all of his medicine and medical supplies. On a normal delivery, I get 7 bags of TPN (Total parenteral nutrition (TPN), also called hyperalimentation, is the practice of feeding a person without using the gut. It is normally used during surgicalrecoveries. It has been used for patients in coma, although enteric (tube) feeding is usually adequate, and less prone to complications. Chronic TPN is occasionally used treat people suffering the extended consequences of an accident or surgery. Most controversially, TPN has extended the life of a small number of children born with nonexistent or severely birth-deformed guts.) along with 3 smaller bags of Lipids (another word for "fat"). Various needles, alcohol wipes, all of the additives I add into Waylon's TPN - I have 5 vials of vitamins and additives that I add in every evening when getting it set up. Waylon has a backpack that holds his TPN and the pump that runs his TPN through him and keeps him going. My wonderful Aunts Jan and Marilyn bought me a mini-fridge to keep Waylon's medicine in. His medicine was taking up all the space in our regular fridge. ♥ Aunt Jan and Marilyn!!


This is one drawer in my 6 drawer dresser that holds medical supplies. This is ostomy supplies.



This is a pouch ~front and back~ a wafer, that stick to Waylon's skin, and a belt that attaches to the pouch and holds it on.




This is a sample of the items I put into the "medicine" bags I make up every week to get ready to make up to get Waylon's TPN up and ready for him at night. There are 2 additional additives that have to be refrigerated that also go into the medicine bag.


Usually after the UPS makes their delivery on Tuesday evenings, I get all the things that need refrigerated put away and then once the boys are asleep, I make up "medicine bags" with all of the items I need to get Waylon's TPN mixed up and ready to go every evening. I hook him up at 8:00 pm, and he is hooked up for 16 hours - until 12:00 the next afternoon.
It's a lot to keep up with and a lot to try and keep straight. I would never have thought I could do things like this, but a Momma does, what a momma has to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment